Friday, June 20, 2008

Chapter 6

I really enjoyed reading chapter 6 about presenting self. It kind of reminded me of what is said about life as you are in your 20’s your 30’s and then in your 40’s, the different stages we are said to go through. Though I feel like the dramaturgical perspective never stops at the next stage of life because people are always evolving, learning knew things about themselves and having new experiences. So there is always room to act out or play to a different audience or plan out a different script in life. For instance, I have different friends for different things I like to do in my life. So if I am in more of the artsy mood, I’ll go and do that and play that role with those friends vs. my sports affiliated friends or vs. my married friends’ vs. my single friends. And the way I act at school is completely different then how I am at work. I am professional, anal and ridiculous organized and through in my job and the utmost professional and talk as such and that’s probably the reason why I am a workaholic and practically live at work. And depending on the type of client I am talking to or working with my role changes as such and so might my mannerism or tone. However, the school side of me is the exact opposite and works the exact opposite. I speak to no one and usually never participate in class discussions and am usually just that quiet student that comes to class, does my work, never speaks to the instructor and that’s it. However, I always know what to expect in terms of what the first day of class will be like and what expectations are for the instructor because all instructors usually have the same expectations listed on the their syllabus. And it is true; life is just one big stage. And really it is all the same norms but sometimes we just have to look a little bit harder to figure them out. It’s like the saying of same (to be polite and respectful, I’ll say…) “stuff” just a different day.

No comments: