Saturday, June 14, 2008

Chapter 4

In chapter four I really felt that the listening at work I could relate to best because it is something that I am very much experiencing and having to go through at work. I have a coworker whom I share an office with that never listens, and therefore is always making mistakes, forgetting what they are told and always seems to be getting yelled by our boss for something that she had already told him but because he was not listening, disregarded what he was suppose to do. It’s very true that good listening equals good organization and satisfaction in the workplace. For instance, I always give my full attention to whomever I am being addressed by at work and focus so much so that I try my best to take in what they are saying to not only react to what is being said but also so be able to come back with some questions, if needed. I find that I often ad in the behavioral components of the um and uh huh’s as I am listening. And I also do make mental notes of the important points so that I can take them back to my office and sort through them. I have this thing about if you look at someone when they are speaking you are more likely to listen what they have to say because you are focused on them. So I find that when I get a call from a customer or client and I don’t know them, I try and focus on their voice and envision them in front of me telling me what they need. It helps me to just be completely focused on what they are saying. I find that if I am doing to many other things while I’m on the phone it’s very easy to tune someone out.

No comments: